Thursday, August 11, 2011

The nesting box I built

We have been needing a new nesting box for our chickens for awhile.  Husband threw together one a year ago but it had many faults.  The chickens pooped in it.  It was too big for the need and it just didn't work.

So today I decided to re purpose a piece of broken furniture to make a better box.  We recently had to remove an old dresser that was falling apart.  The drawers however were still in good shape and I thought "Hey!  If I put a piece of wood across the front it would make a perfect nesting box. 



Nothing like fresh eggs!


So out the garage I go and about a half an hour later BAM! I have a new nesting box.



The chickens seem to like it too!

3 comments:

  1. This is such a smart idea! I love seeing people use things they already have to turn into other things that they need. Make do, use up, do without that was the mantra of my depression area grandparents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!

    I felt quite handy after slapping that together and it's been a success. I enjoy building things but have few chances to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice re-purposing! My nest box is an old pet carrier that I used to use for my dogs(R.I.P.)It had been stored outside and got some weathering that broke the latches that hold it closed so you can't carry an animal in it, but it does make a nestbox that I can lift the top off of to get to the eggs. That's a mighty pretty bird you got there too.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers!