Monday, March 7, 2011

The Song of the Meadowlark




My favorite songbird is the Western Meadowlark.  They are all over this part of Washington out in the fields and farmlands.  As a girl we lived at the edge of town where the houses met with farm land and sage meadows.  Every morning in the spring and summer while walking to school you could here the meadowlarks singing out.  It's one of the most beautiful calls I have heard.  I used to sit out in the fields waiting for them to sing when I was little, and now that I'm an adult there is nothing more pleasurable than sitting out on a porch after a busy day with a glass of iced tea listening to them sing in the evening.

While we were living on acreage outside of Pasco we again could here the meadowlarks singing in the all the time and my daughter fell in love.  They don't come into towns, even ones as small as where we are living now, for some reason.  That's one of the things I miss by living in town.  But now that we have a cow every morning Eldest Daughter and I go out to feed, water, and check on her and we hear the Meadowlarks singing again.  I know spring is here when they are calling and want to get out and plant something!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers!