Friday, March 4, 2011

Orange Scented Pumpkin Buns Recipe

I get most of my cookbooks first through the library, then if I really like them I buy them online.  This is how I got my cookbooks How To Be a Domestic Goddess by Nigella Lawson and Roasting by Kathy Gunst.

These were both great cookbooks and my favorite cornbread recipe (that even the children love) is in the Roasting one. 


I have just found a new book that I am going to buy online.  It's called The Everything Bread Cookbook and lives up to its name.  The recipes sound delicious, but that doesn't mean they work.  I tried the Orange Scented Pumpkin Buns and they were a success.  Very yummy, the kids each ate two at dinner and wanted more.  This is a great way to sneak in veggies if you have a child who will not eat them willingly.   I didn't add the orange zest, mainly because I don't like it personally.  And I used leftover butternut squash instead of pumpkin, but that won't change the flavor much.  One of the things I enjoyed about these was the nutmeg.  I adore nutmeg!  Please try grating it fresh because the difference in flavor is huge when you compare it to the pre-ground stuff.  Much better.  In fact I never liked nutmeg as a flavor until I tried grating my own.


 


I'm going to try her basic white bread, Hawaiian Bread, the caramelized onion and asiago cheese bread, and many more next.  There is a big section on whole grain breads that I want to start trying too. But on to the rolls.

I served these rolls with the best roast pork I have ever made.  I coated a cheap pork butt roast in a mix of Herbs De Provance/garlic powder/mustard powder/fresh ground pepper/cloves/salt and roasted it for about 6 hours at a very low temp with 2 cups of water a whole apple sliced, bay leaves, and half an onion.  It came out meltingly tender with a wonderful flavor.  The rolls complimented it by being a little sweet.

The rolls were tender and moist with a nice crust that formed from the egg wash brushed on top before baking.

Here's the recipe

Orange Scented Pumpkin Buns

1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1 3/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (1 package)
1/2 cup butter
1 cup pumpkin (or butternut squash) puree
2 teaspoons plus 1 pinch kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
grated zest of 2 oranges
4-6 cups bread flour
1 egg

1.  In a large bowl combine water, 1 teaspoon sugar, and yeast.  Stir to dissolve and let stand about 10 minutes.

2.  Add remaining sugar, butter, pumpkin, 2 teaspoons salt, nutmeg, orange zest, and enough bread flour to great a firm dough.  (I used the mixer until the dough was about like cookie dough and then mixed in the rest of the flour until it formed a firm dough by hand with a wooden spoon)  Add flour only to reduce stickiness.  Turn out onto a floured surface and knead 8-10 minutes.  Return to bowl, dust the top with flour, and cover with a damp cloth or plastic wrap.  Rise at room temperature until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.

For the next step I just formed them into standard rolls and plopped them into buttered muffin pans.  They turned out fine!

3.  Line a baking sheet with parchment.  Turn risen dough onto a floured surface. Shape into a rope, about 3" thick.  Slice 2" pieces off the rope, then roll each into a tight ball.  Place balls on Prepared pan., seam-side down.  Dust lightly with flour, cover loosely with plastic wrap, and proof for 30 minutes.  Preheat oven to 375

4.  Mix egg with a pinch of salt and brush lightly across proofed rolls, bake until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.  Cool completely.

We ate these still warm from the oven smeared with butter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers!