Monday, January 10, 2011

Two New Recipes I Just Tried Out


For my first recipe I have to give you a bit of history.  I have been trying to bake all our bread, cakes, cookies, and rolls from scratch with varying levels of success for awhile now.  But the one thing I cannot seem to overcome is the sandwich bread.  My family loves PB & J sandwiches.  But using my favorite bread recipe bread sliced does not work out.  The bread dries too much and ends up falling apart at lunch time.

So now I am trying to find a quick bread recipe that will be good as a sandwich bread.  I think quick breads will give my family the spongy doe like texture they are used to and also stay moist enough to keep from falling apart.  Today I tried a Quick Oat Bread.  It called for quick oats which I never have so I halved the oats and used old fashioned rolled oats.

It worked out like a dream and was extremely tasty.  It had a good texture and nice oat flavor with a slight sweetness.  Even my certified picky eater Captain Submarine loved it so I'm going to try it in lunches tomorrow.  As a bonus quick breads are well, quick.  So baking them will be faster than a yeast bread.

Quick Oat Bread

Total Time: 1 hr 15 min
Cook Time: 1 hr
Oven Temp: 350

Ingredients

U.S.MetricConversion chart
  • 1 cup(s) milk
  • 1 cup(s) quick-cooking oats, uncooked or 1/2 cup regular rolled oats
  • 1 tablespoon(s) quick-cooking oats, uncooked
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 6 tablespoon(s) (3/4 stick) margarine or butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup(s) light brown sugar, packed
  • 2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
  • 2 1/4 teaspoon(s) baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 8 1/2" by 4 1/2" or 9" by 5" loaf pan. In large bowl, combine milk and 1 cup oats; let stand 5 minutes.

2.  To oat mixture, add eggs, margarine or butter, and brown sugar; mix well, making sure there are no lumps of brown sugar. Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt just until blended.

3.  Spoon batter into loaf pan. Sprinkle top with remaining oats. Bake 55 to 60 minutes in 8 1/2" by 4 1/2" pan (bake 35 to 40 minutes in 9" by 5" pan) until toothpick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean. Cool bread in pan on wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.


My next recipe I found in a magazine that came in the mail.  Its called World's Best Chocolate Cake.  And with that title how can one resist?




It's called for sour cream but I had none so I substituted Ricotta Cheese.  I do that allot by the way :) 

Well it turned out incredibly good.  A rich chocolate that is also light and airy, which I didn't expect.  I frosted it with Chocolate Sour Cream Frosting from my Better Homes and Gardens red and white cookbook.

Cake:

1/2 cup butter
4 oz. unsweetened chocolate, broken up
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 1/4 cup sugar
1 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups sour cream or ricotta cheese
3 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract

heat oven to 350 and grease and flour three 9 inch round cake pans

In a microwave safe glass bowl melt butter and chocolate together until smooth, about 1 to 1 1/2 min.  Stirring halfway through.  Set aside.  Mix flour, sugar, coca, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a a large bowl until blended.

Add sour cream, eggs, 1 cup water, chocolate mixture and vanilla; beat 30 seconds on low speed, until dry ingredients are moistened.  Increase to medium: beat 2 minutes.  Pour into prepared pans.

Bake at 350 for 40 min. or until cake layers spring back when pressed. 

Cool and frost

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers!