Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Our First Snow!

Here's a song to go with my post.  Listen and enjoy!




Living in Washington you may assume that we get allot of snow where I live.  I wish!  There is a large, sparsely populated section of Washington state that is more like a desert.  It is officially labeled as a Semi-Arid Plateau.  Most people don't even know about it because they stick to the Seattle area where it is green.  My husband and I were raised in the Tri Cities at the confluence of the the mighty Columbia, Snake, and Yakima Rivers.  You would think that with those big rivers the area is green but that's only true about 100 yards in from the river.  After that is sagebrush, tumbleweeds, and a satanic plant called a goat head that has thorns so sharp they can go through shoes.   Thanks to the marvels of mass irrigation the land is a huge producer of orchard fruits, potatoes, onions, vineyards, peas, wheat, alfalfa, the list goes on and on.  We have hotter than hot summers, little rain, and mild winters.  Many people grow figs and peaches in their yards and the Hermiston Mellon's are famous.

But one thing we lack (other than trees) is snow in the winter.  When it does snow it is usually only an inch and quickly melts away.  Some times there are record years when the snow reaches 3 to 4 inches but that only happens every seven years or so.


Viking Boy discovers snow!


Samson had a great time frolicking in the snow


My poor thanksgiving decorations don't look so fitting anymore




So you can imagine that when we get that first real snow of winter it's a big deal.  Last year (our first year in our new home) it only snowed once and that was barely enough to dust the sidewalks.  I love snow and would gladly shovel every day if I could.  So it was not a very jolly winter.  No sledding, no snowmen, no snow angels or snowball fights.  Blah!

But last night it began to snow HARD. It continued all night and we have about three inches already.  Not only that but the forecast is saying it wont get above the low 20's all week ensuring the white stuff staying awhile for once.  It's the first white Thanksgiving I can remember for this area in probably 20 years.

There is nothing like the first time your child sees the world transformed into a sparkling white wonderland.  Our two year old was amazed by the changed landscape and keeps running to the windows and yelling "Wow" and "Uh, oh".  What must go through a toddlers mind when they see snow is probably pretty funny. I was woken up to my 6 and 7 year olds little voices raised in excited wonder at the white blanket outside.  School unfortunately was not delayed today.  I was hoping the kids would have a few hours to play.  But when they get home they will have a great time on their sleds.

In celebration of this event I'm going to make a nice big pot roast, mashed potatoes, gravy, rolls, carrots, and brownies for dessert.  All I can say is Let It Snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers!