Monday, September 27, 2010

The Last Flush of Summer

September is almost over and the garden will soon be under a cover of frost thereby killing almost all the plants.  As with most gardeners I take this time to go over what varieties did well and which ones fizzled.  This year was unseasonably cold and wet so my hot weather crops did poorly with just a few exceptions.  I didn't get one eggplant.   My tomatoes took forever and now I have a ton of beautiful green ones on that will probably not ripen before the frost.  My melons didn't make a showing and my beets wouldn't even sprout.

The winners this year were the Black Cherry tomatoes, Amish Sugar Pie pumpkins, Yellow Wax and Green beans, Assorted Lettuces, Purple Bell Peppers and assorted herbs. 

The top winner was a new variety of tomato that I tried on a whim called German Cream Sausage.  It is pictured above and I have never seen such a prolific tomato.  The plants were literally covered in tomatoes.  The flavor is citrus with apple tones and I don't care for them!  Sad but true, however husband loves them so I guess they won't go to waste.  All in all it was a good first year for a garden at our house.  I can't wait for next year to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers!