Monday, August 30, 2010

Canning Peaches and Plums

On Saturday my lovely sister asked if I would like to come over and pick peaches from her tree.  Of course I wanted to.  Our peach trees that we planted this year will not bear a large amount of fruit for probably 2 to 3 years so the chance to can tree ripened peaches is one I wouldn't pass up. It's just amazing how much one fruit tree can produce. She had already canned about 20 quarts and gave us half the tree to pick.  We didn't even pick all the peaches from our half because some were still very green.  She still has the other half to pic and process for her own family.  Just to let you know home canned peaches that are tree ripened will put you off store bought for the rest of your life! 

While I was in town I also went and picked a bunch of wild plums.  These are small plums but very sweet.  I decided to use them for jelly since they wouldn't make good jam. 

 
 
  I add cinnamon sticks and piece of nutmeg to the syrup to add spice flavor to them. All in all I canned 21 quarts and 7 pints of peaches and then 17 pints of plum jelly in one very long day.  I only stopped because a jar broke in my hand and cut the heck out of my finger.  Blood and peaches shouldn't go together so I took the hint and ended the day.

What a wonderful abundant land we live in.  We are so lucky to have access to good inexpensive food. 
We are truly blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers!