|Our Home Alter|
Having a home alter is something many Catholics do, and now even other denominations are encouraging it. I have wanted a home alter for a very long time and now that I am returning to the Catholic Church it seemed a perfect time.
|The Blessed Virgin Mary Statue|
It has a little drawer to hold things
So what is a home alter and why have one? Well there are many reasons really. I can't speak for anyone else but myself and why I wanted one. So here goes.
Why Have a Home Alter
- The Family is The Domestic Church. We learn about God and Jesus first as children through our family, having a home alter helps to remind me and my family of God's presence in our lives every day.
- A gathering place for prayer and worship in the home
- A place for peace and contemplation, even during my very busy days
|St. Ann who is the patron saint|
of mothers. I have chosen the name
Ann in veneration of Saint Ann
for my conformation name
What I have noticed since we created our home alter
- Our home is more peaceful and loving
- Whenever I walk by, which is dozens of times a day, God is immediately on my mind.
- My children are much more "in tune" to God in their lives. They love to look at the crucifix, rosary, and statues of saints, and talk about God and Jesus much more.
- It has opened up my children to talk about the bible and God's plan for us
- We discuss the saints much more frequently and why people become saints.
- My children love to light the candles and pray for people in our lives. Many times their friends or cousins.
|Our Beautiful Crucifix|
When I first started creating our home alter I got many of my items at a estate auction because we had little money. I think I paid maybe $2.00 for a Crucifix and a friend gave me a statue of Mary. Now however we have gotten a little more elaborate, but you don't have to! Having a home alter is about loving God, not how fancy you can make it! My children have loved placing each item at our alter and it has started some really great conversations.
A rosary and a little booklet on how to
pray the rosary
So here are some things suggested by other families and myself to include in your alter
A Cross or Crucifix
Candles Matches and Candle Holders to light
A nice alter linen (I got my beautiful one from the thrift store for $1.00!)
Statues of Jesus, The Virgin Mary, And Particular Saints
Prayer Cards and Rosary Cards
Holy water font
Pictures of Jesus and/or saints
|Another candle and some beautiful|
special matches my sweet daughter
bought me for my birthday to go
on our alter
I received a lovely Crucifix from Catholic Shop Online. They carry lots of lovely home alter products.
I bought two of these Single Copper Lily Candleholders for only $7.00 on amazon! We light them when we are praying for someone or something.
"Ask, and it will be given you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For every one who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened."
- Mt. 7:7-11
- Mt. 7:7-11