I have just been introduced to icebox cakes and have to say I am in love! What an icebox cake is, at least most of them, is like an American trifle. Just layers of some cookie or cake like food with a cream, pudding, or custard between and sometimes fruit added. Then refrigerated for awhile to allow the layers and flavors to soak into each other a bit. They are super easy, delicious, and fast. Not to mention cool for those hot summer days when you don't feel like a hot dessert. I just tried this one simply called Icebox Cake from over at Live Love Pasta. She has some amazing recipes over there so be sure to bop over and check them out.
It is so simple but looks very fancy and tastes like heaven. You really must let it sit in the fridge for at least 5 hours so the cookies absorb some liquid and become soft and cake like. I like to make this in the morning and it is ready in time for dinner. Even my picky teenager loves it. Now this recipe makes a huge quantity so I halved the amounts and it was perfect for our family of 6. Next time I am invited to a party or BBQ I am bringing this!
- 6 cups heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 (9-ounce) packages chocolate wafer cookies (Nabisco brand)
- 1 chocolate bar, for shavings
- In the bowl of a stand mixer on high speed, beat heavy cream, sugar and vanilla . Beat until soft peaks form.
- On a flat serving plate, arrange 10 wafers side by side forming a circle. You can vary the number of wafers depending on the size cake you want.
- Spread with whipped cream, not going completely to the cookie edges. Repeat with remaining cookies and cream, making 11 layers of cookies and ending with a layer of whipped cream (there may be a few cookies left over). Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- To serve, dust top lightly with chocolate shavings.