- Buy on sale in large quantities. If it's something you know you use allot and it's on a once a year amazing sale stock up!
- Compare the price per ounce on the store tag, not the price. You will often find that by comparing the price per ounce the item that is on sale is still more expensive than the same item next to it. By doing this you will save hundreds of dollars a year.
- Buy from the bulk department - this is almost always cheaper by at least 25%. I store my bulk items in half gallons glass mason jars so I know just how much I have left.
- Make a meal plan for the month and then buy the foods needed to make it. This will save you tons of money because you wont be tempted to buy convenience foods or eat out which not only is expensive but super laden with preservatives.
- Avoid convenience foods and prepackaged meals. They are expensive and striped of nutrients.
- Get Chickens! Even though the initial costs are there you will make the money back in eggs. And eggs are really going up in price. Our chickens are 4 years old and still laying strong! Also any food waste and garden weeds/grass clipping's that you have can go right to these wonderful little garbage disposals which they turn into the best eggs you will ever eat!
- Have a garden. I have a small (by my standards) garden and it produces tons of food each year. Its not as hard as you would imagine and the rewards are so great especially with produce prices skyrocketing.
- Make homemade foods. Making things like bread, yogurt, and other homemade goods is not only cheaper, but also much better for you.
- Use rice, noodles, and beans as your fillers with meat. Meat is the most expensive item on a shopping list. But by having these carbs helps fill you up and stretch the meat.
Wednesday, May 21, 2014
How To Save Money On Groceries
Food prices are really starting to go up now. Especially in the meat and fresh produce isle! So how can you feed your family well and save money at the same time? I feed a family of 6 so that is my mission. Here are some of my tips on saving money.