Thursday, May 30, 2013

Here it is! Hide It Cake Recipe

 
After receiving several requests I'm posting my Hide It Cake recipe, so called because you have to "hide it" to keep it from being eaten up in less than a day!  This was given to me by a local farm wife and she serves it at harvest time to the workers. When my husband worked for her husband at harvest he got to try it and begged me to get the recipe and make it.  It is like a pecan pie in cake form and highly addictive! I am writing it out as it was given to me.

Hide It Cake

Cut 1 stick of butter (I used coconut oil and it turned out fine) in small pieces in large bowl.  Add 1 cup quick oats (I used 3/4 cup regular oats and it turned out fine) and pour 1 1/2 cup boiling water.  Let stand for 20 minutes.  Add 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup white sugar and 2 unbeaten eggs.  Mix well.  Stir together 1 1/2 cup flour, 1 tsp soda, 1 tsp nutmeg, 1 tsp cinnamon 1/4 tsp salt.  Add and mix well.  Add 1 tsp vanilla, mix well and pour in 9x13 greased pan and bake @350 for 30 minutes.

Topping

1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cup coconut
2 beaten eggs
1/4 cup melted butter
1 cup chopped pecans or other nuts
4 tbs milk or cream

mix all-together and smooth over the top of cake as soon as 30 to 40 min is up (I found you have to bake the cake long enough for the top to support the topping so 30 to 40 is what it takes).  Put back in oven for 20 min or until golden brown on top.

And here is how I store all my baked goods

2 comments:

  1. thank you so much! i have been wondering about this recipe! so excited to try it. we don't like coconut, so i will exclude it....but the rest of it looks so yummy - for breakfast or snacks or whenever! thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this recipe; just last night my head was stuck inside the freezer, looking at the bags of coconut and wondering what to make with them. I'm making this cake today for a birthday party tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers!