Sunday, November 5, 2017

Apple Pie Bar Cookies


Cinnamon Oatmeal BarsAutumn is finally here and I always get the need to bake things that are warm and full of spices.  I love the way it makes my house smell and am greatly rewarded by praise from the family.

Image result for MUSSELMAN'S Apple ButterOne simple recipe I am naming  Apple Pie Bar Cookies because they taste just like a slice of apple pie with the yummy struesel topping. 

They are apple-ie, buttery, and crunchy all at the same time.  And most of all they are EASY!  Ridiculously easy!  You must try them because you will be rewarded!  I'm thinking you could change these up with any fruit jam or butter.  Can you imagine how yummy they would be with strawberry, cherry, or peach?  I have to make double batches of this because otherwise they are gone in an instant. I use musselman's apple butter, but use what you like.


Apple Pie Bar Cookies

Ingredients
  • 1 c flour
  • 1 c old-fashioned oatmeal
  • 3/4 c light brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 8 Tbsp butter, melted
  • 1 c MUSSELMAN'S Apple Butter
  • 1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored, and sliced thin.  Only use granny smiths because they hold their shape and have better texture!
Directions

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 8 x 8 baking pan with vegetable cooking spray. Line with heavy-duty foil or parchment paper, leaving an overhang on two sides to facilitate removal of bars from pan. Coat foil with cooking spray.

Mix flour, oatmeal, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir in butter with a fork until well mixed and clumps form, and then spread half the oatmeal mixture over foiled pan bottom, pressing to form a thin crust. Spread butter over crust  and then put sliced apples in a single layer across that. Then sprinkle remaining oatmeal mixture on top.

Bake until crisp and golden brown, 30 to 40 min. Cool to room temperature. Use foil “handles” to remove bars from pan. Cut into squares and serve.

Makes 16 servings



6 comments:

  1. This looks yummy and pretty healthy compared to the "usual suspects". I think my daughters would enjoy them - thank you! New follower from the Clever Chicks. Would love for you to check out my blog and follow back if you'd like!
    Jessica
    www.barefootbysea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! I know this is kind of off-topic however I needed to ask.
    Does running a well-established website such as yours take a lot of work?
    I am completely new to writing a blog however I do write in my diary daily.
    I'd like to start a blog so I can easily share my experience
    and feelings online. Please let me know if you have any kind of
    suggestions or tips for brand new aspiring bloggers. Appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Appreciate this post. Will try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This must be soo tasty I must try to make it!
    Soursop leaves

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers!