Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Simply Perfect Whole Wheat Bread - Best Recipe Ever!

Ever since I started my bread making journey I have been searching for that perfect bread that consistently turns out well and also can make great sandwich bread.  That is the key, sandwich bread that is not course or grainy.  But sadly much of my bread turns out grainy and although it tastes great it just cant be used for sandwiches.  I really really want to bake all our own bread.  My rolls are heavenly, my pies divine, my cookies yummy (cant take credit here I just follow the recipe)  but darn it all my bread will just not turn out for sandwiches.  I was on the point of giving up when I found a post over at one of my favorite blogs Paratus Familia.

Enola Gay is one of my mentors, she bakes all her own breads and in a wood cook stove too!  So when I read her post about a bread that turns out perfect 99% of the time and also makes great sandwich bread and also is whole wheat I knew I had to try it.

Well Enola is no liar, this bread not only was easy but it turned out perfect and sliced up beautifully for sandwiches.  It tastes divine and is whole wheat which is great because I am trying to change our family over to whole wheat breads.  I can't believe how well this turned out!

Check out her blog because it is just so fun and encouraging!

http://www.paratusfamiliablog.com/2012/05/whole-wheat-bread-that-will-have-you.html



Simply Perfect Whole Wheat Bread


In a large bowl mix:


3 C warm water (110°)
2 T dry yeast
1/3 C honey

Stir in:


5 C bread flour

Let sit for 30 minutes, or until big and bubbly (sponging).


Mix in:


3 T melted butter
1/3 C honey (in addition to the honey already added)
1 T salt
2 - 4 C whole wheat flour


Knead for about 10 minutes.  The dough should be pulling away from the sides of the bowl (or counter) but still sticky to touch.


Place in a greased bowl, turning once to coat the surface of the dough.  Cover with a dishtowel.  Let rise in a warm place until double.


Punch down and divide into 3 loaves.  Place in greased 9x5 inch loaf pans and allow to rise until dough has topped the pans by one inch.


Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes; do not over bake.  Lightly brush the tops of loaves with 2 tablespoons melted butter when done to prevent crust from getting hard.  Cool completely. 

2 comments:

  1. I am in the same boat as you, having tried so many recipes and just not quite liking them. I'll be trying this one for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe looks good! I'm bookmarking it. I've made bread before and was terrified because I thought it would be hard. It turned out really well so now I'm not scared to try new recipes. Especially since this one has honey in it! Sounds good!

    Amy


    Fashion and Beauty Finds

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers!