Monday, June 12, 2017

Fried Apples - Old Fashioned Cooking

After reading the Little House books I was interested in trying out the idea of fried apples.  This was an accompaniment to dinners and breakfasts in the book Farmer Boy.  So I looked it up on the net and then added my own tweaks. Fried apples are really delicious and are perfect for cold evenings.  This is really good with pork or chicken or with a hearty breakfast.  Easy to do too, as long as you have lots of apples.  I buy my apples in bulk from an orchard for 50 cents a lb. and got 125 lbs. so I have lots of apples to play with.  The cooking time varies depending on how many apples you use and what variety. You want to use a cooking or baking apple like galas, granny smith, etc..  I use a mixture of them.  Here's the recipe


Take 10 large apples or less if your feeding less but this reheats well


Peel

Then slice into 1/4 in slices


In your skillet melt 1 stick of butter and add apples and then cook over medium high heat adjusting if apples are burning



When apples start to get soft grate over some nutmeg if you like and add one teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/2 cup brown sugar.  Mix up well.  When the apples start to caramelize and get brown they are done.  Serve with breakfast or a dinner of chicken or pork.  Serve warm or hot.


11 comments:

  1. mmmmm...We love apples at my house. I am going to try this one soon!
    TK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful blog. I've linked you at my place. Love the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like apples, bacon and cabbage fried together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that sounds interesting! Bacon makes everything better, right? :)

      Delete
  4. Yummy...my mom used to make fried apples all the time when I was a little girl. I recently was given a batch of tart apples from someone's tree and made a crisp. I had a bunch of apples left and decided I would make fried apples with them. Your recipe sounds simple and delicious! Can't wait to try it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is also good with pears. I don't add the sugar. I use less butter too but good just the same. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH my, how did you know that I've got a grocery bag full of apples to use in lovely recipes like this one? This is like pie without the pastry. I'm cooking steak tonight, and I think these would be dandy with it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds wonderful. We have baked apples too - slice, sprinkle with honey and cinnamon and enclose in foil. Bake till done. Delicious !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This reminds me of the baked apples my mom use to make. As a kid it was one of my favorite dishes, followed you here from, From the Farm party.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good article, you sharing is awesome, love it!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers!