Friday, November 4, 2011

The Comfort of a Hearthfire



For as long as I can remember the hearth fire has been the ultimate in comfort and relaxation.  As a child I begged my parents to light our fireplace.  As I got older I took over the responsibility of splitting wood and lighting the fire after school every day. 

In  summer's hectic days I long for cold weather so that I can sit next to a blazing hearth and listen to the crack and hiss of the fire and watch the soothing colors and shadows shift on the walls.  It's my favorite place for reading, sewing, or just relaxing.

 
Our little Hearth Fire

We are already burning every day and in the mornings I even light the parlor fireplace to take the chill out of the air until the wood stove really starts pumping out the heat.

As the children file down in a groggy daze they plump down next to it and slowly wake up.  Husband and I sit next to it in wing chairs sipping hot coffee and talking before we have to get breakfasts and get him off to work. 


 

  It's no coincidence that the hearth was considered the heart of a home. It's more than a source of heat.  It's a gathering place and a symbol of comfort and relaxation.  A place where memories are made and lovelight shines.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers!