Friday, October 21, 2011

My own original tomato recipe

I have a dark secret.  I really don't like cooked tomatoes!  That's right!  This modern day homesteader doesn't like tomato sauce, pizza, or spaghetti!  Gasp and Shock!  I have never liked them but forced myself to eat spaghetti because it was cheap and my family loves it.  Then  one day I finally admitted to myself that I just don't like the stuff.

I like fresh tomatoes fine and I have two and now up to three recipes that I really like that contain cooked tomatoes. 

The other night I had a mess of tomatoes coming to overripness but not enough to bother canning.  Rather than let them go to waste I  decided to try making them into a roasted tomato dish.  It turned out amazing with an intense tomato flavor and crunchy topping.  Even Husband liked it and all the kids at least tried it and didn't gag.  They make a good side dish for chicken.

I used:

1 cup flour
1 cup crushed balsamic sweet onion Layes chips (leftovers in the bottom of the bag)
1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend (pre shredded store bag)
a dash of McCormick perfect pinch basil and garlic spice blend

1 cup milk

about 5 ripe tomatoes

Mix all the ingredients except the milk in a medium bowl

Use milk in another bowl for dipping tomato slices in

Coat the bottom of a large baking pan with butter or light olive oil (I used the olive oil)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees


Slice tomatoes thickly and then dip in milk and then dredge in the flour mixture place in baking pan layering the tomatoes a little.  Bake about 1/2 hour or until turning brown on top. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers!