Thursday, May 19, 2011

Real American Cooking

I get so tired of people (mostly from other countries) putting American food down.  They really seem to think all we eat is pizza and hamburgers!  On the other hand I can understand why many people think that.  Much of our food heritage has been lost, not from some crises, but from the simple fact of women going to work.  Women are the ones who keep family traditions and recipes alive.  But for the past 3 generations almost all American women have had to work just make ends meet, and when they get home fast food or convenience food is all they can do.  I hear many women bragging, that's right bragging!  That they cant cook!  I just don't understand that!

If you want to experience real American food you have to be asked to a really good country cooks house.  That is really the only place good ol' American cooking can be found anymore on a regular basis.

Yesterday I was feeling in need of some comfort and I wanted to use up some more rhubarb. As I have never had rhubarb pie I decided to make a strawberry rhubarb and a plain rhubarb just to see the difference

Both were very good.  Rhubarb has an interesting taste that's for sure.  I liked it though, and so did everyone else.  The recipe for the crust is from my favorite pie cookbook "Farm Journals Pie Cookbook".  And the pies were from my Old Fashioned Baking cookbook.



OK I love roasting chickens.  They are the ultimate comfort food for me, and today I will be making chicken pot pie with the left over meat, and tomorrow chicken soup with the racks of chicken.  The chickens were on sale so I get three meals for 6 people for less than $10.00.  To go with dinner I made homemade rolls, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, and then we had fruit.



I also made more Strawberry Rhubarb Jam.  Look at the color!  It is a lovely bright clear strawberry shade.






 Spring flowers from our garden

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you 100%. People just don't know how to cook. Don't get me started. lol

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers!